Friday 29 June 2012

Tok Ayah and Tok: Celebrating 46 years of marital bliss Part Deux

Assalamulaikum wbt and thank you for visiting my blog.

Tonight I'm going to write Part deux of the fairytale love story of my grandparents. My Grandpa Ismael was my grandma's neighbour in Alor Setar, Kedah, back in 50s. He fell in love with my grandma at first sight. Wow. Yeah Wow. My grandpa was a soldier. He's retired now of course. It's a family secret (not a secret anymore I guess) that he ran away from home to join the army at the underage of 15 (he lied about his age in his application, with the help of an insider of course). That was the era when young men from all walks of life were urged to fight for the country. 

 My grandpa is on the left, with his comrade trying to look brutally handsome.

 Being underage, I guess my grandpa never recovered from the harsh military training. He has stayed slim ever since.  
My grandpa somewhere either in Kuching, Kota Kinabalu or Jakarta (not sure la, sorry ye). He's in the middle. His initial ambition was to become a film star. Yeah, who didn't coz it was the golden era of the Malay Film Industry. He loves to tell us how he wrote to P. Ramlee, and the legendary actor replied, asking him to take the train to Singapore (those were the period of Studio Jalan Ampas, you know). However, God is the ultimate Planner. His fate turned to a different direction.

p/s: Aku baru balik kampung semalam. Tok ayah and tok punyalah excited tengok gambar depa ada kat dalam internet!!Mak Uda siap call Tok Ayah. Tapi ada salah info skit. Sebenarnya, gambar ni di ambil di Tawau, Sabah. Yang kat sebelah kiri tu kawan baik Tok Ayah, Encik Mat, yang sekarang ni anak dia pengusaha kedai nasi ayam, ala, yang namanya Tat Nasi Ayam tuh. Aku tak pernah rasa lagi, tapi sume orang kata sodap giler. Nantilah, bila baba aku bawak gi Shah Alam, boleh le aku review makanan kat sana ok. 


 P. Ramlee, the Malay genius. He was an actor, singer, scriptwriter, director, songwriter, composer, comedian, social critic, painter and Malaysia's film and art ambassador in the international arena. U know, he even won best actor during an Asia Pacific Film Festival. And he was super excellent in all those areas. Insyaallah, I'll do a write-up as a tribute to this legendary human. He's one in a million. Maybe like Hang Tuah during the Melaka Sultanate. There will be only one P. Ramlee just like there's only one Hang Tuah.

Hokay, enough about P. Ramlee. Back to my grandpa.....well, maybe in Part trois. Coming soon...

night night
Daniel Zaydi.

No comments:

Post a Comment